Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Project Progress 3.11.08

This class period I spent working on the developing project that I has come to my mind. The ideas that I currently have involve photography. I want to use photography to try to frame changes that occur around me in extended periods of time in a single image that one can view. I have the idea of shooting things that change in different time frames. Some things changes appearance within seconds, some within minutes, and others take days and weeks. I would like to take consecutive photographs of things that change and merge these images to frame this change. The way I would like to show this change is to make the consecutive images transparent so that they lay on top of the original image. Hopefully taking anywhere from five to twenty images and overlapping them will create an interesting, innovative way of viewing change. In class I learned how to use Photoshop to create the certain effects that I am looking for. Here are a couple examples of how I plan to overlap the images. In this first example I merged the following two pictures. The first picture of of a silhouetted plane flying over trees as the sun sets on a spring day. The second picture was taken as I was experimenting with slow shutter speed while riding down the interstate as my roommate was driving us to Florida for spring break. Both of these pictures were taken on the same day.



Here is the image that I created by merging these two images:

This next one was created by merging a picture of a car from the Detroit autoshow with picture of tree bark. I liked the juxtaposition of this image
I plan to shoot things that change within a relatively short amount of time and superimpose the images upon one another. Some ideas that I have right now are the following: a melting ice cube, a wilting flower, blooming tree....I'm still thinking of others.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, those pictures are really cool. I loved the way that blending of the pictures presents the exact same images yet, there is something completely different in viewing the mergings. I like the way that the light trails from the picture taken on the freeway remind you that pictures are actually the stilling of time. when the light moves across the picture, you can see that how the space changes over time.